My Friends ~ You Guys are the Best!

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Company, Worming Horses and Dieting!

I’ve been struggling to get a post together. I apologize, especially to you new followers. I really do try to post….almost everyday, at least when life doesn’t get in the way.

We have had company visiting.

This is my niece, Stacy and her husband, Rusty.



And this is the newest member of their family, Darby Elizabeth. This is the first time we Okies had a chance to meet, Miss Darby. They live in Illinois.

Darby Elizabeth, 9 months

See those cheeks? I’ve been getting lots of sugar!


On other things, like blogging.....

I did get on my soapbox while leaving a comment on another blogger's site. I'm posting it here, for all to *see*. (It's not required reading.)

The Prairie Maid Speaks and speaks.

There are days I worry we are all over the place. And there are times I am most thankful for what they aren’t learning (if they were attending public school).

I recently read where middle school students were required to participate in a six-week cultural class about Islam. This class was so involved, it required students to choose Islamic names, repeat Muslim prayers, wear a head covering while in class…etc. Mine won’t be doing that.

My 14 & 15 y/o are a little immature compared to their public school counter parts. They rarely talk about sex, unless to ask a question. This usually pertains to the breeding of some of their animals and the fact that our dairy goats are short day breeders. They don’t do drugs. They rarely see an “R” rated movie. They are not on a bus with 40 other students with little supervision 45 minutes twice a day.

Yes, one “school” day last week, we spent the afternoon worming the horses. They watched. They helped. Isn’t that better than sitting in an Ag class reading about how to worm horses, while someone else is throwing paper wads? They took turns driving the jeep through the pasture. We had to read the instructions to know the amount of worm medicine to administer depending on the weight of each horse. While we were worming, we went ahead and fed and watered. We talked about how flies lay eggs on a horse’s back and legs and while scratching, these eggs are sometimes swallowed, becoming parasites and can do a great deal of damage. Yes, humans have parasites too. That’s why it is important to wash your hands, especially after working with animals. That’s why you don’t saddle your horse, mount up, and then put the reins in your mouth because you are trying to do something else with your hands.

So, I figure during an hour & half, we had covered a little/or a lot in:

Ag – Equine and General Livestock Management/Animal Care

Health – Reminder of how important it is to wash your hands and to keep hands (and equipment) away from face, especially mouth; parasites

Drivers’ Ed – They all drove the jeep while out.

Practical Math – Weight of horse/amount of worm medicine

Reading – Comprehending Instructions

When we got back to the house, they watched Schoolhouse Rocks, a film about lightning and baked a pan of brownies.

So we add:

Lesson Reinforcement
Science
Home Economics

The morning (part of it) had been spent milking, feeding dogs – cats – chickens, doing two pages of penmanship, working on this week’s memory verse, and computer skills.

Our school day was about 4 hours. What public school could possibly provide the same opportunity to learn?

I’m sorry this is long. But just because we don’t fit into the same box as public school or because our lessons don’t come out of a box, doesn’t mean our children aren’t learning. If it is only life coping skills and common sense, they are learning more than the majority of those enrolled in public school.

And if we want to sleep until 9 a.m., then practice multiplication (and fractions) while making and baking cookies at 9 p.m. That’s our choice.

Sorry, I am now stepping off my soapbox. ;) Personally, I think Mish Mash ROCKS!!!

Here is the link to the post I was responding to. Peace Creek On the Prairie

I am also dieting....AGAIN (I know). If you want to read what I've been eating and find the links to Allan who is the ENCOURAGER of this latest attempt, you can check out My Journey, which is also my blog. There isn't much there (this is just day #5), but I will be posting updates and goals....and probably more information than you want to know.

Warning...Allan's mouth is a bit, just a bit, over the edge of what this country gal is used to, but I'm cutting him some slack. He lives in NY and he has lots of good ideas and information.

In the meantime...til I return to blogland (company leaves Wednesday), have a great weekend!

Blessings,
Cheryl

4 comments:

  1. Have room on that soapbox for someone who agrees? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miz Cheryl, miss Darby Elizabeth sure is cute! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus, maid services hired from maid service companies have the added advantage of bonding and insurance that protects you from any kind of problems due to accidents or damages.Maid Service

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always a joy to hear from you.