My Friends ~ You Guys are the Best!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Building Our Homes Together ~ July 13th and Summer Thoughts A to Z


Good Morning, Ladies!  I love Wednesdays, because it is
Building Our Homes Together With Jesus!
But before I get started visiting, I need to do this:
 (And I want to tell you, this has been fun!  You could join us, starting anytime!)

Photobucket

“Summer Thoughts” is brought to you by Katharine.  Just click on the button and you can read all about it.  We are blogging through the Alphabet during the first 26 days of July.

~ M ~
“Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.”
Psalm 100:1

Can I just say, I wish I was out making MUD PIES, but I am not!  Last night’s rain came so close.  Still I will (choose to) make a Joyful noise unto the LORD!
(BTW, Katharine, you should join us on Building Our Homes Together! *Smile*)
Also, welcome to my new followers!
In one of my feeble attempts at getting organized, I rushed around and had a post ready to go!  It was good, too.  Divided into to topics, instead of being all over the place, like I normally am.  And I did this two days ago, because as of about 9:30 this morning, we are booked solid with grand kids and it will be this way until the end of the month.  I am taking donations for the grocery bill.
However, yesterday I felt impressed that what I had written was not what the Lord wanted.  So once again, I am flying by the seat of my pants and praying the Holy Spirit gives me something of value to share.

Let me just say, this is hard....a hard message.  Please do not be offended, some times what I receive from the Holy Spirit is for me, occasionally it is for others.  What I am going to write is for your good, not to upset you in any possible way.  So, if you feel I've written something that is offensive, just consider the message was real, but perhaps not meant for you.  It could be, ABBA is speaking only to me.

There is good news and there is not such good news.
The good news is, our time here is growing shorter by the day.  Things, people, and governments are moving into to position for the end of days, in the way which you are currently familiar with "time".  This is indeed good news!  Soon you will see the deliverance of the LORD in all HIS mighty splendor!  You should feel excited to be alive at this time.....need I remind you, 'You were born for such a time as this.'?

The bad news, in the natural circumstances are going to appear very rocky, but do not let fear overtake you.  Many have taken my Word and come to conclusions that are not mine.  When things begin to happen that do not line up with how you have been taught, remember 'My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the LORD.'

Just as I protected my people in the Land of Goshen, so I will be with you.  You will see great and mighty works, but you will need to trust in ME, not in yourselves and not in man.
As for storing food, medicine, items of clothing.....this is fine, but do not get attached to that which you have stored.  If you see someone who has a need, you must help meet that need if you are able.  When I call for you, you must not look back on that which you have accumulated.  That which I will give you, will be greater than you can now imagine.  Again, do not be tempted by what you now have, do not let what you have and can touch, become a millstone around your neck.

Take care of your earthly Tabernacle, guard your hearts and watch always.

That's it, girls.
I know (better that anyone) this is not my normal post.  Sorry, wish I knew something to say, I'm empty.

Be sure and go by Linda's and checkout the other "home builders" who have linked up.  Linda also has a marvelous party going on!  And if you would like a copy of The Ball Blue Book (the best canning book on the planet), she now has them available.  I've worn out two copies over the years!

It rained at our oldest daughter's yesterday, about an hour away.  Their tempt was 74 our's was 104.  I am glad they received rain ~ 3 inches of wonderful rain!  The danger of fires is always a concern during a drought. 
Our air conditioner went out, yesterday.  Honey Hunk is working on it.  (Pray)  DS#1's went out last month, DD#1's central unit went out Sunday evening.  I'm sure they appreciated the break in the temperature!  

I spent much of yesterday looking online for hay.  Many, many ranchers/farmers are hurting, many are selling out.  (I found a sweet looking horse yesterday for a dollar, already broke and gentle.  The girl who owned him, said she could no longer afford to feed him and just wanted him to go to a good home.  I cried.  I thought about our own horses.  I cried some more.)  I made the boys take our horses extra treats yesterday.  And they also gave the neighbor's horse some treats.  They are tenderhearted.  (I cried some more, but it was good.)  My point of this is, pray for our country's farmers and ranchers.  What affects them, will also affect you.

Linda asked for canning/preserving recipes.  I am including my (great) Aunt Sula's sweet pickle recipe.  I love them!  They are sweet and crisp and so good cold.  And other than the sugar, are extremely beneficial for you.  When canning, the cucumbers get a super infusion of the herbs and spices (celery seed, cinnamon, clove) that are so healthy for our bodies.  I do not remember Aunt Sula or Uncle John ever having a cold or the flu and these were always a staple on their table.  (The recipe is included at the end of this post.)

If you like my new look, (my new blog look*smile*)
you need to talk to Beth Zimmerman!  She is so sweet to work with and goes above and beyond what she is asked to do.

Praying you have an excellent week and that our Heavenly Father meets your every need! 
Blessings,
Cheryl

My Aunt Sula’s 14 Day Sweet Pickles

       4 pounds cucumbers
       ¾ cup pickling salt
       2 tsp. celery salt
       2 Tbsp. pickling spices
51/2 cups sugar 
4 cups vinegar, 5%

Cucumbers can be canned in chunks (large slices) strips, or whole.

Wash cucumbers and trim the blossom end, leave a little of the stem on the stem in, about 1/8 of an inch.  Place whole cucumbers in suitable 1 gallon container or crock.  

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and add ¼ cup pickling salt.   Pour over cucumbers.

Weight the cucumbers down, so they stay in the solution and cover with clean towel. On the seventh day, drain salt water and discard. Rinse cucumbers and re-scald the containers, cover, and weight. 

Slice cucumbers or cut into strips if desired, and return to container. Place celery seed and pickling spices in small cheesecloth bag. Combine 2 cups sugar and 4 cups vinegar in a saucepan. Add spice bag, bring to a boil and pour pickling solution over cucumbers. Add cover and weight, and cover with a clean towel.

For the next six days (each day), drain syrup and spice bag and save. Add 1/2 cup sugar (each day) and bring to a boil in a saucepan.

Remove cucumbers and rinse.

Scald container, cover, and weight daily. Return cucumbers to container, add boiled syrup, weight, and cover with a clean towel.

On the 14th day, drain syrup into saucepan. Fill sterile canning jars leaving 1/2-inch head space. Add 1/2 cup sugar to syrup and bring to boil. Remove spice bag. Pour hot syrup over cucumbers, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Adjust lids and process in a water bath for 10 minutes for pints and 15 minutes for quarts.

(Before this last step, I have used the food processor to chop the pickles up, then added the hot syrup and sealed.  It makes a great sweet relish. ~ Cheryl)

My great-aunt and uncle, were my "grandparents".  They took my mother and her sister in when their own mother passed away.  She was Sula's sister.  The girls were 2 and 5 years old.  Aunt Sula and Uncle John had a 10 year old daughter at the time.  This was prior to the depression and the time dust bowl - times were hard, but Aunt Sula and Uncle John were loving care givers.  Growing up, I spent every chance I could on their farm.

3 comments:

  1. It surely does seem that we are living in the last days. We do know that things will get worse before they get better... that's a given.

    Your pickle recipe looks wonderful! I may have to try it if I am given some cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for that word. All Scripture is inspired by God, isn't it? Yes, it is :) :)

    I've never tried canning anything. I can't afford a set right now, but I'd love to try someday. I'd do small batch canning since my apartment is small. Your recipe souds really interesting ;) :)

    Have a lovely Wednesday. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :)

    p.s. I just added your blog button to my right sidebar :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl, Thanks for that word. I will have to hop on over and check out the home builders. I have not canned pickles for quite a few years, this looks like a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always a joy to hear from you.